Interested in submitting an article to the Bar Rag?
The Bar Rag welcomes articles from attorneys and associated professionals in the legal community. Topics range from legal analysis to travel, leisure, humor, and other topics of interest to enrich and entertain our readers. Priority is given to articles and newsworthy items submitted by Alaska-based individuals; items from other regions are used on a space-available basis.
Adhering to these guidelines and submission instructions will increase your chances of publication.
- Quarterly publication dates: March, June, September, December.
- Submission deadlines: February 10, May 10, August 10, November 10.
- Length: No more than 2 single-spaced or 4 double-spaced pages, non-justified. Submissions may only be made in electronic format. Longer articles may be accepted, but will likely be edited for length or "serialized" over more than one edition of the Bar Rag.
- Photos: black & white and color photos and illustrations are encouraged.
Instructions for Electronic Submission of Articles
Failure to follow these instructions may result in rejection or request for resubmission.
- Manuscripts/articles must be in Text, Word, or Word Perfect format, i.e., .rtf or .txt, .doc, or .wpd. Our current publication software does not support Microsoft Word’s .docx format. PDF files will not be accepted.
- Make certain the author's byline or identity is included in the article itself.
- Use descriptive filenames that correspond to the article’s title or subject.
- Disable special formatting in the manuscript text, such as hyperlinks to e-mail addresses or websites; multiple column settings, embedded objects, logos, photos, or tables; and links to footnotes and endnotes.
- No drafts will be accepted. Communicate with the Editors if you expect to submit a late article which may require additional, minor revisions and/or edits.
Digital Photo Submissions Instructions
- Digital photos for use in the Bar Rag must be of medium/good resolution or better. Low-resolution .jpg format photos do not translate well in print.
- Photos from your digital camera must be descriptively named prior to submission. It is difficult to marry photos with captions, names, articles, or events without a descriptive file name.
- Caption information should be submitted in a separate document. This document must conform to requirements for submission of an article. Each caption should reference the descriptive photo file name. Include photo credit(s) within the captions. Do not submit caption information in the body of an e-mail.
By e-mail: email@example.com
By mail: Bar Rag Editor, c/o Alaska Bar Association, PO Box 100279 Anchorage, AK 99510-0279