CLE# 2013-006: The Ten Commandments of Defensive Lawyering for Malpractice Prevention
Date: Wednesday, February 27, 2013
Purchase Program Recording (includes course material):
Course Materials Only:
- Hard Copy:
*No CLE credit for materials only.
Print Registration Form
Professor Marc Garfinkle’s “Ten Commandments of Defensive Lawyering” are a dozen (!) do’s and don’ts for solo and small-firm lawyers that can keep them out of trouble. In this humorous, fast-moving program, drawn from his popular book, “$olo Contendere: How to Go Directly from Law School into the Practice of Law without Getting a Job” Marc offers some scraps of wisdom from his years at the bar.
One of America’s most popular CLE speakers, Marc Garfinkle is a solo attorney specializing in matters involving attorney ethics violations. A former ethics investigator and committee chair, he knows how attorneys get into trouble and why they start losing sleep.
- Getting other lawyers to protect and help you
- Recognizing and avoiding conflicts of interest
- “Firing” clients; withdrawing from representation
- Using your diary defensively
- Managing client expectations
- Reviewing Active Files
- The common danger zones for solos and small-firm lawyers
- Pre-empting problems
- What to do if you screw up
Also listed in:
Ethics / Professional Responsibility