- Examinees in Anchorage will be permitted to use their personal laptop computers and ExamSoft SofTest software for the essay portions of the Bar Examination.
- Following the exam, you will be required to upload (return) your essay answer files via the Internet.
To use a laptop for the essay examination, you must:
- Download and register SofTest onto the computer you will use on exam day (NO EXCEPTIONS)
- Confirm your laptop computer meets the minimum specifications listed below
- Ensure your laptop is configured for access to the Internet
- Complete a Mock Exam using SofTest prior to the bar examination
- Have experience using computers
- Agree to handwrite your examination in the event of a hardware or software malfunction or power failure.
To participate you must:
- Complete the Examination Application and pay the non-refundable/non-transferable $100 fee which must be submitted with your bar exam application.
- SofTest can be used on virtually any modern computer (i.e. purchased within the last 3-4 years). Specific system requirements are noted below:
- CPU = 2GHz Intel® Core™/Celeron™ or equivalent x86 processor (CPU Info)
- RAM = highest recommended for the operating system or 2GB
- Hard Drive = highest recommended for the operating system or 1GB of free space
- Operating System = English 32-bit Versions of Windows XP, 32-bit and 64-bit Versions of Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8
- SofTest cannot be used on virtual operating systems such as Microsoft's Virtual Machine, Parallels or VMware, VMware Fusion or any other virtual environments, unless approved for the institution.
- Software = Internet Explorer 7.0 or later
- Internet connection for SofTest Installation, Exam Download and Upload
- Screen Resolution must be 1024x768 or higher
- Administrator level account permissions
- A working USB port
In order to use SofTest on your Apple Macbook, Macbook Air or Macbook Pro natively, you must have:
- CPU = Intel processor
- RAM = 2 GB
- Hard Drive = 1 GB of free disk space
- Operating System = MAC OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard), 10.7 (Lion), or 10.8 (Mountain Lion)
- Server version of Mac OS X is not supported
- SofTest may not be used in a virtual operating systems
- Software = Internet connection for SofTest installation, Exam Download and Upload
- Administrator account
- A working USB port
Deadline to participate:
- Submit a payment of $100 (VISA, Mastercard, Discover, or a check made out to Alaska Bar Association), along with the laptop registration form. This $100 fee is nonrefundable and nontransferable. Be sure to list a current and valid email address. Payment must be submitted with your bar exam application.
- You will receive approval via email to participate, along with a link to the ExamSoft Web site and instructions on how to begin the download, registration and qualification process.
- You must download the ExamSoft program.
- Complete the registration process.
January 15 (February exam)
June 15 (July exam)
Refunds: You will only be entitled to a refund in the event ExamSoft verifies that your computer could not register SofTest, or if a minimum of 10 applicants do not register to use a laptop for the exam. You will not be entitled to a refund in the event you fail to attend the Bar exam, withdraw from the exam or are disqualified by the Board for any reason.
The program will be offered in Anchorage as long as a minimum of 10 applicants register to use SofTest for each exam.
Uploading your essay answers:
You must upload your essay answer files via the Internet to the ExamSoft server following the exam. The Bar staff will retrieve your essay answers for printing and distribution for grading. More information will be provided later.
Begin by visiting ExamSoft’s Frequently Asked Questions web page located at www.examsoft.com/barfaq.
Visit ExamSoft’s support website at http://support.examsoft.com.
Technical support from ExamSoft will also be available to you via email at BarSupport@examsoft.com or by phone toll-free at 866-429-8889.
For further information contact Deborah O’Regan at firstname.lastname@example.org or (907) 272-7469.