ExamSoft Laptop Information
You may register to take your exam on computer using SofTest and ExamSoft’s ’FlexSite’ Internet based exam delivery option. Using SofTest, you will download your exam(s) prior to exam day and upload your answer(s) after the exam via the Internet. You WILL NOT require Internet connectivity during your exam(s). You WILL require Internet connectivity to download your exam(s) and upload your answers(s).
How do I download an exam?
Exam(s) are automatically downloaded during SofTest registration and a confirming email(s) is sent. If you DID NOT receive a confirming email contact ExamSoft Client Support via email at BarSupport@examsoft.com or by phone 866-429-8889. Failure to do so may result in your having to handwrite the exam.
How do I upload an answer?
Turn on your computer and connect to the Internet. Note: Do not launch SofTest until you connect to the Internet. If you do, exit and reopen SofTest after you have connected to the Internet. Double click the "SofTest - Bar Edition" icon on your Desktop and your answers will automatically upload.
When do I upload my answers?
You are required to upload your answers by the deadline listed below. You may upload anytime prior to the deadline.
Upload Exam Deadline: MIDNIGHT of the last day of the Bar Exam.
Will there be Internet Connectivity at the Test Site?
How do I connect to the wireless network?
Insert or enable your wireless network card.
For Windows XP user’s right-click the wireless icon located in the system tray, select ’View Available Wireless Networks’ and follow the on screen instructions.
For Windows 2000 user’s navigate to and right-click the wireless icon, select ’Enable’ and follow the on screen instructions.
What if my laptop does not have wireless capability OR there is no wireless network at my site?
You may upload from any location where Internet connectivity is available (Home; Office; Hotel; Internet Café’s; etc). You are still required to upload your answers by the deadline so we suggest determining in advance where Internet connectivity is available close to the test site.
How will I know my answers have been uploaded?
A visual ’progress status’ (blue bar) is displayed as the upload takes place. When the upload is complete, a ’success’ message is displayed. An email confirmation is then sent to the email address provided when you signed up on ExamSoft’s website.
What if I have a problem uploading my answers?
Contact ExamSoft Technical support via email at BarSupport@examsoft.com or by phone toll-free at 866-429-8889.
Do I need a USB flash drive?
A USB drive will be provided by the Alaska Bar Association. You are required to save a backup copy of your answers on a USB flash drive.
USB Flash Drive: Create a copy on a USB Flash Drive. To set up SofTest to save a backup copy to a USB Flash Drive:
- Double-click the ’SofTest - Bar Edition’ icon
- Click ’Launch SofTest’
- Click the ’Preferences’ button
- Change the ’Floppy Drive’ letter from A: to the letter of your USB Flash Drive.
- Click ’OK’ and exit SofTest.
The USB drive will be collected at the end of the exam and kept by the Bar. NOTE: YOU ARE STILL REQUIRED TO UPLOAD YOUR ANSWERS BY THE DEADLINE.
May I practice with the software?
Yes. There are two options. We STRONGLY urge you to take advantage of both.
Internet Delivered Mock Exam - Additional copies of the Mock Exam are available to familiarize you with SofTest. Internet connectivity is only required to download an additional copy of the exam file and upload the answer file. NO Internet connectivity is required while taking the exam. Instructions for downloading additional copies of the Mock Exam, taking it and uploading the answer file may be found at www.examsoft.com/fsei.
Practice Exam Built into SofTest - After registering SofTest, launch the program by double-clicking the SofTest icon on your Windows Desktop and then click ’Launch SofTest’ When SofTest opens click the "Practice Exam" button. This enables you to familiarize yourself with the SofTest exam environment and word processing features. The Practice Exam cannot be saved and no answer file will be uploaded. You may use this Practice Exam as many times as you wish.
What should I do prior to Exam Day?
- Ensure: (1) that there is plenty of free hard drive space, (2) that your PC is virus free, and (3) that you read the PC preparation tips provided at www.examsoft.com/estips.
- Read the FlexSite Exam Information sent to you.
- Familiarize yourself with the software by utilizing the built-in Practice Exam feature.
- Locate your A/C - battery power indicator light on your laptop to determine which light indicates you are running on A/C power (i.e. power from a wall outlet).
- Ensure that your battery has at least 20 minutes of charge in it just in case there is a temporary power outage.
- Ensure that your computer’s internal clock has the correct date. To verify date and time, double-click the clock in the lower-right corner of your screen.
- If you have SofTest use or install questions, visit www.examsoft.com/barfaq.
What should I do on Exam Day?
- Bring your registered laptop, a fully charged battery, and an electrical extension cord (6 feet). If you use an external mouse and full-size keyboard, you may bring those as well.
- Use the instructions that will be provided to you on exam day to launch SofTest.
- Immediately before SofTest launches the exam, you will be provided a warning screen with RED STOP SIGNS indicating that you should not begin the exam until instructed to do so. Heed this warning.
- Follow the FlexSite Exam Information received for Internet Connectivity and uploading your answers.
- Bar applicants who do not take the time to become familiar with their laptop computer or SofTest’s features, should consider handwriting their exams. No administrative relief will be granted in the event that an exam file is deleted or otherwise altered.
- If you encounter computer difficulty during the exam notify a proctor for instructions.
- Any attempt to disable or tamper with SofTest's security features will be considered a violation of the applicant honor code.
- It is your responsibility to familiarize yourself with your equipment and the SofTest software and instructions provided by ExamSoft on its web site prior to the start of your exam. Please allow yourself sufficient time to become familiar with your laptop and the application.
- Commencement of the exam will not be delayed due to a hardware or software problem with your laptop nor will you be provided additional time to take your exam.
- Do not uninstall SofTest until after you receive your exam results.