Alaska Bar Association
Thursday, September 7, 2006
Board of Governors Meeting
September 7-8, 2006
550 W. 7th Avenue, Suite 1900
Anchorage, AK 99501
Roll Call and President's Remarks
Board Sunset (executive session)
- Legislative Audit
- Sunset issues/lobbyist
Alaska Bar Rule 65: Should the voluntary CLE program be changed to a mandatory CLE program? Published Apr/Jun 2006 Bar Rag. (final consideration)
- Comments from members
- Issue of "carryover of credits"
- Pro Bono credit for MCLE
Investment Schedule; Pat Corkery, Merrill Lynch
- Status of Proposed Rules Chart and Report on Recovery of Trustee Counsel Expenses
- Ethics 2000 Amendments to Alaska Rules of Professional Conduct: Board review of ARPC Committee recommendations. (review member comments, final consideration).
- Alaska Bar Rule 33.3: Proposed addition defining the practice of law for the civil injunctive purposes of Alaska Statutes 08.08.210 patterned after unauthorized practice of law rule adopted by the Washington Supreme Court. Published Jan/Mar 2005 Bar Rag. (tabled at May 2005 meeting) (subcommittee appointed September 2005) (progress report).
- Alaska Bar Rule 61(d): Amendment correcting the name of the Child Support Enforcement Division to the Child Support Services Division. Published Apr/Jun 2006 Bar Rag. (final consideration)
- Alaska Bar Rule 5, Section 1(b): Amendment adding the filing of Bar Rule 64 affidavit to the requirement to file membership acceptance forms within 60 days of completion of certain admission requirements. Published Apr/Jun 2006 Bar Rag. (final consideration).
- Alaska Bar Rule 43.2: Proposed addition permitting practice by Emeritus Attorney for qualified legal services organization. Published Apr/Jun 2006 Bar Rag. (final consideration).
- Alaska Bar Rules 22(a) and 61(e): Amendment and addition to provide for administrative suspension for failure to respond to a grievance. Published Apr/Jun 2006 Bar Rag. (final consideration).
- ABA Bylaws, Article IV, Sec 8: Amendment to provide for electronic notice of Board meetings. Published Apr/Jun 2006 Bar Rag. (final consideration).
- Alaska Bar Rule 15.1: Proposed addition to require lawyers to have their trust accounts only at institutions that agree to provide trust account overdraft notices to bar counsel. (tabled at April 2006 meeting)(further consideration).
- Alaska Bar Rule 44: Amendment to qualifications for legal intern permit, renewal, and permitted acts. (first consideration).
- Alaska Bar Rule 39(a): Housekeeping amendment correcting Bar Association address. (first consideration).
- Alaska Bar Rule 40: Amendment correcting citations to Uniform Arbitration Act. (first consideration).
- Alaska Bar Rule 3, Section 6: Amendment changing reapplication deadline for July exam to June 15. (first consideration).
- ABA Bylaws, Article VIII, Sec 3: Amendment changing reference from "Robert's Rules of Order, Revised" to "Robert's Rules of Order Newly Revised." (first consideration).
- Standing Policies of Board of Governors: set due date for annual report (first consideration).
Personnel matters (executive session)
Pro Bono Report
Friday, September 8, 2006
Information & Consent
- Update on Status of New Database
- Approval of April and May minutes
- Financial information
In the Disciplinary Matter Involving Attorney X, ABA File No. 2006D015 (reciprocal discipline)(private proceeding)
In the Disciplinary Matter Involving Calvin P. Vance, ABA File No. 2006D066 (reciprocal discipline)(public proceeding)
Trustee Counsel: ABA File No. 2006T001 In the Matter of William P. Bryson. Request for compensation to trustee counsel from LFCP fund.
Lawyers' Fund for Client Protection Committee (private proceedings)
Proposal by Historians Committee for Judge Nora Guinn Award
- Reciprocity Applicants
- In re the Application of Applicant No. 4059; report from Lawyers' Assistance Committee (private proceeding)
Discipline and Fee Arbitration Report
- Statistics: 3rd Quarter 2006 Update
- Update: Alaska Right to Life v. Feldman, et al. (executive session)
- Update: DeNardo v. Morse, et al. (executive session)
Convention Updates for 2007/2008 and CLE Report